Author Archives: Deb Lovci
1. Because that wonderful space and deck on Deer Valley Drive where the Stew Pot was for years is just too cool a place to not have filled with something wonderful: a breakfast and lunch café as well as a gourmet grocery with liquor and specialty snacks. And loads of easy parking in a spacious lot.
2. Because when you’re on your way home from skiing Deer Valley and you have no idea what you’re making for dinner, you can stop in and grab Deer Valley restaurant favorites ready to take from the cooler. Think a gourmet pizza (smoked salmon, grilled leek and asparagus, anyone?), the butternut squash shiitake mushroom and Anasazi bean enchiladas, Royal Street Café meatballs or housemade brats. Don’t forget DV’s homemade fig mustard to go with it.
3. Because while you’re there picking up a few items, you can also pick up a bottle of wine (there’s a selection of 20) and High West liquors. You’ve now saved yet another stop on the way home and avoided the liquor store crowds.
4. Deer Valley’s famous “Haute Chocolate Mix” all made up and packaged with marshmallows included. (They also use the homemade mix in chai, if you like).
5. The large selection of pasta sauces to go (try the wild mushroom, roasted prosciutto and sundried tomato alfredo).
6. The Deer Valley Jumbo Cookie dough already in balls ready to simply be put on a cooking sheet and baked.
7. The kids will love the all-natural macaroni and cheese and Moms will love that the color comes from annatto seeds, not artificial stuff.
8. Because Deer Valley’s bakers make homemade breads every day, and if you’ve never embraced a big, beautiful loaf of Struan (a Scottish harvest multi-grain bread with cornmeal and polenta, wheat bran, rolled oats and sunflower seeds), you haven’t lived. Toasted, it’s better than, well, you know.
9. The curried chicken salad, Southwestern beef and corn soup, garlic herb wraps, the brioche with fruit on top, the locally made jams and honeys, the artisanal cheeses and dried meats, the chocolate selection.
10. The day-old bags of bakery items like croissants and brioche for $5.
11. The 2-day old pastry items that are turned into the most fabulous bread pudding you’ve ever tasted.
12. Because the freezer has Deer Valley’s famous housemade ice cream sandwiches, along with the chocolate dipping sauce to go with them.
13. Because this summer, they’re going to put hookless fly rods out on the deck and while you’re sitting out there enjoying your coffee you can practice your casting in the Deer Valley ponds.
14. Because the manager Janine has such a pretty smile and such a great attitude.
15. Because Deer Valley Grocery~Café is yet another example of the #1 ski resort in North America doing things right. Enjoy!
Open daily from 7:30 a.m. to 6:30 p.m. for takeout or dining in. 1375 Deer Valley Drive. 435.615.2400. deervalley.com.
If you are an awesome skier and a fit, this is the adventure for you!! Book online at SkiUtah.com. It is a wonderful experience!! Plus, your Innkeeper Deb, I one of the guides!!
There are so many choices of ski resorts in Utah. That is what is so special! From the Park City resorts to Ogden Canyon to Southern Utah. But, in my opinion, one of the most beautiful is Sundance. There is a reason Robert Redford picked this location. I have to admit, I’ve not skiied here a lot, but when I do, I can’t wait to go back! I’m also a big hiker and one of the greatest Utah hikes is Mt Timpanogas. It is the face you see at Sundance when you are skiing. Now sure, there are bigger resorts, but if you’re looking for a relaxed day of skiing, great food and stunning views…head to Sundance. It is only a 40 minute drive from the Inn.
If you are a nordic skier or a snowshoe enthusiast, Sundance is the place. I love their nordic center!! While you are at the Inn, talk to Adrianne, one of our great Innkeepers and she will tell you how much she loves Sundance!! She works there as well!!!
While at Sundance, make sure you visit the Sundance store and the Deli. For a really nice meal, you can make reservations at The Foundry Grill. ‘
There you have it!! Another great suggestions for the girls at Old Town Guest House!
Park City, Utah The impressive 24hr totals are in: 25″ at The Canyons Resort ; 17″ at Deer Valley Resort and 15 light, fluffy, inches of Utah powder at Park City Mountain Resort . Get out and enjoy it and don’t forget to share your photos and videos with us!
Happy New Year from the Park City and the Old Town Guest House!!
Book any room that is available during the month of January, 2011 and take 15% off your lodging total! You must mention that you saw this special on the blog. It will not be quoted!!
Are you coming to the Inn Jan. 1st – Jan 10th, 2011 and need lift tickets!! Check out the following link and see if this helps!!
Oh my!!! The skiing is amazing!! Come on out and enjoy the famous Utah Powder!! Here is a lodging special to help make it affordable!! Get out here!!
This special expires Dec. 31st 2010 and you must mention it when making your reservation. Special is good for new reservations only… book any available room for $189/night. You won’t find a better deal!!
Specialty Programs Fill Deer Valley Ski Season Calendar
Whether you’re a child or adult, a top-level skier or an eager beginner, or even someone returning to the sport, Deer Valley Resort Skier Services offers a selection of specialty ski programs designed to improve skiers’ skills, confidence, knowledge and overall enjoyment of the sport.
Mahre Training Center Ski Camps: Hosted for the sixth straight season by American Olympic medal winners and brothers, Phil and Steve Mahre, these three-day camps are scheduled for Jan. 7-9, 2011 and Feb. 11-13, 2011. A five-day camp will be held this season Jan. 10- 14, 2011. Class sizes for the clinics are typically between five and seven people, ages 12 years and older, for all ability zones. Cost for each clinic is $745 (including lift tickets) for the three-day camp and $1,130 (including lift tickets) for the five-day camp. Participants will receive six hours of daily instruction by Deer Valley’s top ski instructors, the chance to ski with Phil and Steve Mahre during the camp, daily lift tickets, evening sessions, the unique Mahre Training Center progression, video and other amenities.
Adult Specialty Programs: Deer Valley will also continue its highly popular Men’s and Women’s Adult Specialty Clinics this season, conducted by Deer Valley’s top ski instructors. The clinics feature stance, balance and alignment analysis, Dartfish technology video analysis, new equipment demo and a get-acquainted social, as well as multiple hours on the slopes perfecting and enjoying the craft.
One Men’s Weekend (all ability zones) is offered this season, Jan. 28-30, 2011. The cost is $535 per person, excluding lift ticket. The Men on Thursdays program (all ability zones) is $685 per person, excluding lift tickets, and runs five consecutive Thursdays: Jan. 13, 20 and 27, and Feb. 3 and 10, 2011. The Women on Wednesdays program (all ability zones) is $685 per person, excluding lift tickets, and runs five consecutive Wednesdays: Jan. 12, 19 and 26, and Feb. 2 and 9, 2011. Two Women’s Weekends (all ability zones) are offered this season, Jan. 28-30 and Mar. 4-6, 2011. The cost is $535 per person, excluding lift ticket.
Children’s Programs: Deer Valley Ski School offers a wide array of children’s lessons for kids from three to 14 years old. Specialty Programs offer children the opportunity to improve their skiing in a fun, safe environment.
The Teen Escape is for those 13 to 18 years of age (all ability levels). Teens can enjoy a mountain experience with other teens while being coached on the dynamics of skiing. Teen Escape is offered Dec. 18-Jan. 2, Jan. 14-17, Feb. 17-26 and Mar. 6-Apr. 3 from 10 a.m. to 3:45 p.m. daily. The cost is $185 per person and includes lesson and lift ticket. The Pre-school Programs (for children 3 to 5 years old) are offered Mondays/Wednesdays, Jan. 17- Feb. 9, 2011, or Tuesdays/Thursdays, Jan. 18-Feb. 10, 2011 from 9 a.m. to noon or 1 to 4 p.m. Cost is $443 for lesson only and $556 with a lift ticket. The Friday Afternoon Program is for children ages 3 to 14 and runs six weeks on Friday afternoons from 1 to 4 p.m., Jan. 7-Feb. 11, 2011. Cost is $350 for lesson only and $422 with a lift ticket. The Children’s Saturday or Sunday Ski Experience (CSSE) is for children ages 3 to 14 years and runs Saturdays, Jan. 8-Feb. 12, 2011, or Sundays, Jan. 9-Feb. 13, 2011, from 9 a.m. to 3 p.m. Cost is $560 for lesson only and $674 with a lift ticket.
Advance reservations are required for all of Deer Valley’s specialty programs. For more information visit www.deervalley.com
Stay at Old Town Guest House!! $169/night!!!
Opening Day for the 2010/2011 ski and snowboard season at Canyons. With the launch of two new state-of-the-art lifts, a new direct-connect gondola, expanded terrain and improved snowmaking capabilities, Canyons Resort will be better than ever this winter.
Positioned just outside the Grand Summit Hotel, the new “bubbled” lift will be the first of its kind in North America. One of the most technologically advanced chairlifts in the world, the bubble-enclosed quad lift offers unmatched visibility, safety and design and includes sophisticated comforts such as heated seats. The weather-protecting orange bubble will evoke the feeling of being inside a pair of ski goggles as it transfers guests to the mid-mountain Lookout Peak before continuing uphill to an ending point just south of the current Sun Peak lift. The new lift will increase the uphill capacity from base-mountain by a staggering 47%. Most importantly, the new lift will allow skiers to get to the very top of the mountain in just nine minutes.
The southern-most part of The Canyons saw the construction of another new detachable quad lift, which will provide guests with access to an additional 300 acres of northwestern facing skiing and snowboarding terrain. Ten runs, ranging from intermediate to expert to gladed tree skiing will bring the total number of runs to an impressive 176. Timberline Lift will allow guests to ride in either direction and provide easy access to the south side of The Canyons.