Monthly Archives: January 2011
Utah’s ski and snowboard resorts have already surpassed the 300-inch mark this season resulting in phenomenal mountain conditions across the state. Historically, February and March are Utah’s snowiest months indicating that this season just might get even better. Looking for a reason to split from reality and hit the slopes? Utah has 300 and counting.
2011 FIS Freestyle World Ski Championships.
Deer Valley Resort will host our second FIS Freestyle World Ski Championships. Competitors from around the world will challenge each other and themselves on Deer Valley’s 2002 Olympic runs.
The event begins with the Mogul competition on Deer Valley’s Champion ski run Wednesday afternoon, February 2, beginning at 1:45 p.m.
On Wednesday night, February 2, at 7 p.m. there will also be an Opening Ceremonies celebration on Main Street including live entertainment near the Town Lift Plaza, followed by fireworks.
The Ski Cross competition will take place Friday afternoon on Deer Valley’s Solid Muldoon ski run, beginning at 1:30 p.m. Followed by the Aerial competition under the lights on Deer Valley’s WhiteOwl ski run beginning at 7:45 p.m.
On Saturday, the Halfipipe competition will take place at 10 a.m. at Park City Mountain Resort.
The event will end with the Dual Moguls competition at 7:30 p.m. on Deer Valley’s Champion ski run.
All events are free to the public.
For those guests looking for an enhanced spectator experience at Deer Valley, Freestyle Feast event tickets are available for either dinner on Friday or Saturday for $100 or lunch on Wednesday or Friday for $75 in the VIP Tent and include a commemorative gift.
Tickets can be purchased beginning Monday, November 22 by calling 435-645-6510, 8:30 a.m. to 5 p.m. daily.
The competitions will air on NBC Saturday, February 5 at 4:30 p.m. EST and Sunday, Feb 6 at 2:30 p.m.
For more information please call 435-649-1000 or 800-424-DEER (3337) or visit the FIS Freestyle World ski Championships website.
1. Because that wonderful space and deck on Deer Valley Drive where the Stew Pot was for years is just too cool a place to not have filled with something wonderful: a breakfast and lunch café as well as a gourmet grocery with liquor and specialty snacks. And loads of easy parking in a spacious lot.
2. Because when you’re on your way home from skiing Deer Valley and you have no idea what you’re making for dinner, you can stop in and grab Deer Valley restaurant favorites ready to take from the cooler. Think a gourmet pizza (smoked salmon, grilled leek and asparagus, anyone?), the butternut squash shiitake mushroom and Anasazi bean enchiladas, Royal Street Café meatballs or housemade brats. Don’t forget DV’s homemade fig mustard to go with it.
3. Because while you’re there picking up a few items, you can also pick up a bottle of wine (there’s a selection of 20) and High West liquors. You’ve now saved yet another stop on the way home and avoided the liquor store crowds.
4. Deer Valley’s famous “Haute Chocolate Mix” all made up and packaged with marshmallows included. (They also use the homemade mix in chai, if you like).
5. The large selection of pasta sauces to go (try the wild mushroom, roasted prosciutto and sundried tomato alfredo).
6. The Deer Valley Jumbo Cookie dough already in balls ready to simply be put on a cooking sheet and baked.
7. The kids will love the all-natural macaroni and cheese and Moms will love that the color comes from annatto seeds, not artificial stuff.
8. Because Deer Valley’s bakers make homemade breads every day, and if you’ve never embraced a big, beautiful loaf of Struan (a Scottish harvest multi-grain bread with cornmeal and polenta, wheat bran, rolled oats and sunflower seeds), you haven’t lived. Toasted, it’s better than, well, you know.
9. The curried chicken salad, Southwestern beef and corn soup, garlic herb wraps, the brioche with fruit on top, the locally made jams and honeys, the artisanal cheeses and dried meats, the chocolate selection.
10. The day-old bags of bakery items like croissants and brioche for $5.
11. The 2-day old pastry items that are turned into the most fabulous bread pudding you’ve ever tasted.
12. Because the freezer has Deer Valley’s famous housemade ice cream sandwiches, along with the chocolate dipping sauce to go with them.
13. Because this summer, they’re going to put hookless fly rods out on the deck and while you’re sitting out there enjoying your coffee you can practice your casting in the Deer Valley ponds.
14. Because the manager Janine has such a pretty smile and such a great attitude.
15. Because Deer Valley Grocery~Café is yet another example of the #1 ski resort in North America doing things right. Enjoy!
Open daily from 7:30 a.m. to 6:30 p.m. for takeout or dining in. 1375 Deer Valley Drive. 435.615.2400. deervalley.com.
If you are an awesome skier and a fit, this is the adventure for you!! Book online at SkiUtah.com. It is a wonderful experience!! Plus, your Innkeeper Deb, I one of the guides!!
There are so many choices of ski resorts in Utah. That is what is so special! From the Park City resorts to Ogden Canyon to Southern Utah. But, in my opinion, one of the most beautiful is Sundance. There is a reason Robert Redford picked this location. I have to admit, I’ve not skiied here a lot, but when I do, I can’t wait to go back! I’m also a big hiker and one of the greatest Utah hikes is Mt Timpanogas. It is the face you see at Sundance when you are skiing. Now sure, there are bigger resorts, but if you’re looking for a relaxed day of skiing, great food and stunning views…head to Sundance. It is only a 40 minute drive from the Inn.
If you are a nordic skier or a snowshoe enthusiast, Sundance is the place. I love their nordic center!! While you are at the Inn, talk to Adrianne, one of our great Innkeepers and she will tell you how much she loves Sundance!! She works there as well!!!
While at Sundance, make sure you visit the Sundance store and the Deli. For a really nice meal, you can make reservations at The Foundry Grill. ‘
There you have it!! Another great suggestions for the girls at Old Town Guest House!